“The Show Must Go On! Snowy Lake Tahoe Welcomed the IP Law & Management Institute In-Person Since 2019!”
By Monica Churchill on November 17, 2022
After a two-year hiatus, the IP Law & Management Institute made its return for the first in-person conference since 2019 – and it was well worth the wait! The Ritz-Carlton in Lake Tahoe, California hosted IP executives from across North America for the IP Law & Management Institute. Legal professionals gathered in a snowed in Ritz Carlton for 3 days of networking, collaboration, and information exchange.
The 2022 IP Law & Management Institute offered IP Leaders, no matter what their current challenges and concerns in navigating this evolving IP landscape, the opportunity to connect with peers from other leading organizations across the United States, who served as a strong network and sounding board for ideas and information exchange on strategies to help guide one another through these turbulent times. Over the course of the event, a series of panels, interactive roundtables, think tanks, and keynote presentations were showcased, arming the attendees with the tools and actionable insights necessary to rise to today’s IP challenges and successfully lead in a disrupted and evolving IP landscape.
The event kicked off on Sunday November 6th, with a critical discussion on the key developments, priorities and updates at the USPTO, presented by Valencia Martin-Wallace, Deputy Commissioner for Patents at the USPTO. Mrs. Martin-Wallace covered a series of topics that set the tone for the conference as she discussed patent filing and trends for 2022/2023, the council for inclusive innovation, and international IP harmonization.
The sessions that followed allowed for attending executives to focus on actionable strategies to unlock your IP potential, while adapting and evolving your IP to meet the needs of the moment. A few session highlights that were captured include:
- “What Keeps Corporate Counsel Up at Night?”
- “Maximizing the Success of Your IP Department”
- “The Holistic Benefits of a Cross-Function IP Strategy at 3M”
- “Considering Arbitration for Complex, Significant Disputes? Think Again!”
- “Empowering Privilege to Fight for a More Diverse and Equitable Future”
- “Ethics in IP for In House Counsel”
- “You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know: NFT’s & Blockchain Domains”
- “Strategies to Optimize Your Global IP Rights”
- “Running Your Global IP Department Like a Business: Legal Operations and International Value Creation”
- “A Year in Review: What Does the Future of IP Law & Management Look Like in 2023 & Beyond?”
The main goal of the Institute was to provide an in-person experience for IP executives to network and share ideas on strategies to lead through evolving challenges to shape the new workforce. Feedback and praise from attending executives included comments such as:
- “The IPMI team was incredibly helpful, responsive, and professional. One of the better organized and executed events I’ve attended. Hoping to get invited next year!”
- “Very. Well. Organized.”
- “The IPMI staff did a WONDERFUL job organizing this. The app was great, the communication was so clear and easy to follow. Well done.”
- “Very polished and supportive staff, as well as gorgeous, luxurious venue, helps this conference stand out among the many I have spoken at over the past 6 years. Also, atmosphere was very positive, friendly, and low-pressure.”
- “This was my first event — I really valued the level of discourse and insights as a senior practitioner.”
A big thank you and shoutout to our outstanding Speaker Faculty, Service Providers, Advisory Committee and Attendees. The IPMI Team can’t wait to host the next iteration of the IP Law & Management Institute, taking place October 15th – 17th, 2023 at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa in Bonita Springs, FL.
If you would like to join the conversation and contribute to the next iteration of the Institute with likeminded leaders, please contact Monica Churchill at email@example.com.